Sunday, October 28, 2007

Clarify! Clarify! Clarify!

Having spent two years looking at material and following developments in the single-sex education debate, I would like to discuss this issue further. Fatima Goss Graves, Senior Counsel at National Women's Law Center, addresses my blog on womenstake.com. http://nwlc.blogs.com/womenstake/2007/10/heroes-villains.html Here are some of my responses to Ms. Graves' comments.
First, on an earlier blog, I made a comment that I felt that women were on both sides of this issue. I meant to point out that those that support and those that oppose the movement feel that they are doing what is best for young girls. I did not intend for it to sound as if the NWLC or the AAUW were against all single-sex classes.
Second, yes, I agree that the evidence in favor of single-sex education is not strong. There are many studies in schools at the elementary and middle school level. But there are very few studies that are school-wide or state-wide. That is why I feel that Chadwell's work is so important. Check out this Associated Press article on Chadwell http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071001/ap_on_re_us/single_gender_classes This program would be the first statewide initiative of single-sex classes. I appreciate Ms. Graves' comments about the stereotyped instruction referred to in the AP article. I do think that this could be the first program of serious significance in single-sex education.
Third, thank you Ms. Graves for responding to my blog, which I started for an assignment in a journalism class. No matter which side of the fence anyone is on, a female president would take the country in an interesting direction.

No comments: