Sunday, October 7, 2007

Am I really paying $5/pound for fruit from my own backyard?

So after a few weeks of team-tagging the local farmers market, my husband I have it down to a tee. As the summer season winds down, the lines are getting shorter. This past weekend, we made a trip to good old Red Hook to visit the folks. As I was standing in the kitchen and looking out at the backyard and the orchard beyond, my mother commented on the local farms. They had stopped selling their produce locally, she said, and she wondered why. We had just discussed my latest trip to the farmers market. (My parents love to laugh about the crazy stories we tell them of living in Westchester: trips to the $10 movies, spending $100 a week on groceries. Having left New Jersey and Long Island behind 25 years ago, the high prices and crazy traffic seem like another world to my parents.) So back to the convo in the kitchen. I nonchalantly asked about the orchard that touches our backyard, since my mind has been on this topic for class. Putting two and two together, the four of us figured out that Mead farms, the one in our backyard, was the same farm that packed up their produce and trucked over to the Westchester farmers markets. To my amazement, I was paying pretty extravagant prices (according to my parents) for fruit coming from, literally, my own backyard! Another angle for my final project perhaps? The redistribution of produce according to population.

No comments: